Straight Teeth FAQs
We know that you will have lots of questions if you are considering getting your teeth straightened. Below are a list of the most common questions that we are asked.
If your question is not there, don’t worry. Just fill in the ‘Ask A Question’ box and we’ll supply you with an answer.
- What is orthodontics?
- Why should I have orthodontic treatment?
- How do I care for my brace and teeth during my orthodontic treatment?
- Do you have any payment options?
- Can everyone have Six Month Smiles braces?
- Can everyone have Invisalign braces?
- Will treatment with Invisalign clear aligners hurt?
- How often do Invisalign and Invisalign Teen aligners need replacing?
- What if I lose my Invisalign Teen aligner?
- How often do I have to wear my virtually invisible Invisalign aligner?
- Can you treat children younger than 12?
- What are the criteria for NHS orthodontic funding?
- Do you offer clear aligners for children?
- What kind of fixed braces could my child have?
- How long does treatment take?
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the art of moving teeth and improving the harmony of the teeth and jaws. Treatment makes the best of the natural teeth and the results are impressive, particularly for adult patients who have spent years hating their teeth and hiding their smiles.
Why should I have orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatment can straighten crowded or crooked teeth and move them into a better position. This not only improves your smile but also the way your teeth bite together. Straighter teeth that no longer overlap are easier to clean because the plaque doesn’t get trapped and can be cleaned away with ease.
How do I care for my brace and teeth during my orthodontic treatment?
It is important that you continue to have your teeth checked by your usual dentist when you are having orthodontic treatment. You also need to take extra care of your teeth and mouth.
- Clean your teeth carefully everyday, including between your teeth. Appliances are delicate and you need to make sure you clean them carefully so that they do not break. Your dentist or hygienist will be able to show you special techniques to use depending on the appliance you are wearing.
- Cut down on how often you have sugary foods and drinks. Avoid ‘snacking’ on foods or drinks containing sugars, and on fizzy drinks. Sticky food such as toffees or chewing gum are a problem with braces and hard food should be eaten with great caution in order not to damage your orthodontic appliances.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and in addition we suggest you use a fluoride-containing mouthwash. We will recommend special brushes to use for cleaning your fixed appliance
Do you have any payment options?
Yes, we offer interest free credit over 10 months and low interest options over longer periods. Please ask us for more information at your free initial orthodontic consultation.
Can everyone have Six Month Smiles braces?
Six Month Smiles can transform smiles and is suitable for many people. To be sure it is the right treatment for you, please book a free orthodontic consultation and we will be able to take a look at your teeth.
Can everyone have Invisalign braces?
Invisalign aligners Derbyshire are best suited to people with moderately crooked teeth. We encourage you to join us for a free initial consultation so that we can take a look at your teeth and assess your suitability. There are lots of other brace options available at Glendair Dental Practice Alfreton if you are not able to have Invisalign.
Will treatment with Invisalign clear aligners hurt?
The Invisalign system is one of the most comfortable of orthodontic procedures because there are no brackets or sharp edges. The teeth are gently moved into position and the aligners are changed every few weeks.
How often do Invisalign and Invisalign Teen aligners need replacing?
Visits to your dentist will take place every 10-12 weeks, which fits in well with people’s busy schedules and teenagers’ school terms.
What if I lose my Invisalign Teen aligner?
Another benefit of Invisalign Teen is that we will provide up to six free replacement aligners if they are lost or broken.
How often do I have to wear my virtually invisible Invisalign aligner?
You will need to wear the aligner for 22-23 hours a day, everyday – but don’t worry, they are very comfortable.
Can you treat children younger than 12?
We like to wait until your child has lost all of their milk teeth and this usually happens at around 12 years old. We would be happy to provide a free orthodontic assessment for children under 12.
What are the criteria for NHS orthodontic funding?
The NHS guidelines specify that braces can only be fitted for health, not cosmetic reasons. Young people with moderate to severe crowding, protruding, irregular or buried teeth may be eligible, as may those with missing teeth where gaps need to be closed. There is very often a waiting list for treatment on the NHS.
Do you offer clear aligners for children?
Yes. Invisalign Teen braces are crystal clear aligners that can be removed for brushing and the occasional night out.
What kind of fixed braces could my child have?
We offer fixed braces for children and these include either metal or tooth coloured brackets. We can brighten metal brackets with coloured elastics. Ceramic tooth coloured brackets are ideal for older children and teenagers who may feel self-conscious about wearing a brace.
How long does treatment take?
Orthodontic treatment with fixed braces takes between 12 to 18 months on average and up to 24 months with Invisalign.